How to Die Cut 8 1/2" Rag Squares:
For best cutting results, position fabric on the lengthwise grain (straight of grain) as it goes under the roller.
Note: Rag Quilt dies must be cleaned periodically to remove fabric threads. Use the GO! Die Pick (55105) to clean trapped fabric.
Tip: It’s a good idea to keep an extra cutting mat on hand for Rag Quilt dies.
- Advised to start with 1 layer of fabric for rag dies.
- 40" wide fabric: Cut 9" strips across the width of fabric. Fanfold into 9" widths. Place on selected blade and cut. Cut 4 rag squares across the width of fabric. One yard of 40" wide fabric cuts 16 rag squares.
- 60" wide fabric: Cut 9" strips across the width of fabric. Fanfold into 9" widths. Place on selected blade and cut. Cut 6 rag squares across the width of fabric. One yard of 60" wide fabric cuts 24 rag squares.
Why Quilters Love the GO! 8 1/2" Rag Square Die:
- Quilters love rag quilts because they are easy to make and perfect for snuggling! The GO! Rag Square-8 1/2" die makes it even easier by saving hours of tedious hand cutting.
- The GO! Rag Square-8 1/2" die features specialized dog-ears and a 1" seam allowance with 3/4" fringe cut to a consistent 1/4" width for easy alignment and piecing.
- Rag quilt tops come together quickly making GO! Rag Square-8 1/2" a great beginner piecing shape.
- Rag quilts make great gifts for new babies, graduations, the holidays and more. You can change the number and size of the 8 1/2" rag squares in the quilt to make it larger or smaller.
- Use GO! Square-6 1/2" (55000) to cut batting squares to make rag quilts even warmer.
- Rag quilts are typically laundered to fully “bloom” the fringe.
- Cut rag squares out of a variety of fabrics: flannels, homespun fabric, fleece, cotton, Cuddle® fabrics and more! • GO! Rag Square-8 1/2" is designed to work with appliqué shapes that are 5 1/2" or smaller.
- Free pattern downloads available to get you started.
- Fat Quarter-friendly.